Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 3- Cooked Food body bang

I was running out of juice so I fixed my batches the night before work.  I have to take my juice to work and so a fair amount of preparation is needed to continue on this modified juice fast.  After Day 2 I had a chat with myself and decided that I will eat one organic meal a day- be it cooked or raw.  My energy level just plummets too much between 12 and 1 in the afternoon. 
I started my Basic Carrot juice (see recipe below) with a base of celery.  Celery has natural sodium for the body and is a nice primer for the sweetness of the carrots I was about to add.

Nutritional Benefits of Celery
Celery leaves has high content of vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C with rich supplies of potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and plenty essential amino acids.
Nutrients in the fiber are released during juicing, aiding bowel movements. The natural organic sodium (salt) in celery is very safe for consumption, in fact is essential for the body. Even individuals who are salt-sensitive can safely take the sodium in celery, unlike table salt (iodised sodium) which is harmful for those with high blood pressure.  While many foods lose nutrients during cooking, most of the compounds in celery hold up well during cooking. (http://www.juicing-for-health.com)
 To the celery base, I added 12 carrots and  some ginger.  I love carrot juice.  It has a milky texture with just the right amount of sweetness.  I find that carrot does well on its own to sweeten juices but some may like to add other fruits if you like it sweeter.

 Nutritional Benefits of Carrots
Carrot is one of the most healing foods that provides the finest and highest quality in nutrients, especially from its juice.  It is an excellent source of pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, D, E, K, B1 and B6. It is rich with biotin, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, organic sodium and some trace minerals.
 The known phytonutrients in carrots are lutein, lycopene, anti-oxidants alpha, beta and gamma carotenes, zeaxanthin and xanthophyll.  You don't need to remember these fancy names, but just remember that phytonutrients are nature's marvelous provision for healing of various diseases. (http://www.juicing-for-health.com)


Day 3 was better  
I drank all my juices but this time I really focused on water- warm water.  I drink either room-temperature or warm water.  It's easier on the digestive system. At lunch I went to the Farmers Market near work.  Here the bounty of fresh vegetables and fruit helped inspire me for my next batch of juices.
  
Cooked Dinner
 I was looking forward to my husband's organic beef stew for dinner but it wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be. I think drinking mostly raw juices made my digestive system rebel against cooked food. While the flavor was fine, it was the way it made me feel that was pretty gross. I became bloated, achy, my nose started to run and my asthma turned on within minutes of eating it.  I'm not feel that well so I'm going to keep this blog short today.  Perhaps, my digestive system will clear itself up by Day 4.

Best health wishes to you!

Recipe:

Basic Carrot Juice
12 carrots
1 head of celery
1 cup of spring water
1/4 inch of ginger

1 comment:

  1. I'm very inspired and learning a lot, thank you for the great informative site! Paula

    ReplyDelete